You’ve had a busy day at work, now you’re on the PATH train, tired, sore, achy, stressed, etc. You just want to stretch it out and relax, but dude next to you has a killer man spread going on, there are a million tired people on the train and you don’t have space to stretch out, what can you do? Here are my suggestions to help:
DO THESE STRETCHES
1. To release your low back: sit in your seat (if you are lucky enough to find one), start sitting up nice and tall, inhale on your exhale hinge forward from the hips, reaching your chest to your thighs and letting arms hang on outside of legs.
2. Sitting tall in your seat again, inhale, exhale, twist your torso to one side, bring hands to the outside of thighs and press to add to the stretch looking over the back shoulder.
3. If you are standing near a pole, opening your chest is awesome after a long day. Stand with your back to the pole, reach hands behind you (watch where they are grabbing) and grab the pole, stand up tall, take a big inhale on the exhale stick your chest out and look up slightly.
4. Another pole stretch, standing with your side to a pole, feet near the pole as well, lean side just a little bit and grab pole higher than head, big inhale on the exhale lean your hips away from the pole and feel that lovely stretch down your side (switch to the other side so you are even).
5. Stand where you can hold something with feet hips width apart, step one foot slightly forward lifting the toe, exhale shift your hips back and stretch your calf (you’ll love it especially if you wear heels all day).