- This event has passed.
JCFPL Foundation Masquerade Ball & Last Dance
May 16 @ 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM$100
The Jersey City Free Public Library Foundation invites the community to celebrate the career of Library Director and Library Foundation founder Priscilla Gardner, while supporting the Library, at the 16th Annual Foundation Fundraiser on Thursday, May 16, 2019.
This year’s fundraiser is a “Masquerade Ball & Last Dance,” celebrating Gardner’s 50 years of service to the Library, while also raising necessary funds for capital improvements to the Main Library, including the restoration of the historic Tiffany glass window and monumental marble staircase.
Priscilla Gardner has made a lasting impact on the Library and the Jersey City community in her tenure as Library Director, and throughout her career.
Beginning as a Junior Library Assistant, Director Gardner rose through the ranks to become the Library’s first African-American Director in 2002. She founded the Jersey City Free Public Library Foundation in 2004 in order to raise funds for capital improvements to the Library and to support Library services and programs.
Under Director Gardner’s leadership, the Foundation has made critical contributions to the Library and the communities it serves. Among the projects that the Foundation has helped make possible are:
• the ongoing renovation of the historic Main Library, ensuring that this cherished building will continue to serve the city in glorious condition for at least another century;
• the construction of the Glenn D. Cunningham Branch Library, which opened in 2004 as the first newly built branch library in over 40 years;
• a custom-built, ADA-compliant Bookmobile, bringing Library collections and services to all corners of the city;
• multiple renovations and capital upgrades across the library system, including the renovation of the Earl A. Morgan Branch (formerly known as Greenville Branch), barrier-free access at Miller Branch, asbestos abatement at Five Corners Branch, and roof restoration at Heights Branch;
• circulating wireless hotspots, making internet access a reality in patrons’ homes; as well as a wide array of digital resources and collections available to cardholders from anywhere with an internet connection.
The Foundation’s Annual Fundraiser has become a staple of the city’s fundraiser season, with a formal yet friendly atmosphere and special guests always in attendance. This year’s celebration is set to be a joyful and poignant tribute to Gardner.
Guests are encouraged to dress to impress in a masquerade ball-inspired ensemble.
All proceeds from ticket sales, silent auction bids, and other donated funds will benefit the Jersey City Free Public Library Foundation, in support of the Main Library’s renovations.